December 19, 2007

One Cup or the Holy Grail

I think that the song linked to in Volksgeist's post is more relevant and impactful than Toby Keith's "Courtesy of the Red, White and Blue (The Angry American)." It is definitely a song that is a reaction to a much more horrific event...

Unfortunately, I have consciously decided to take the blue pill and have refused to watch said video. Although I like humor and disgusting things, my penchant for vomiting has declined steadily over the years.

I think that this TGOC has served as an interesting social experiment. I was talking to a coworker who had heard about this phenomenon and decided to watch the video. After countless web searches, the only videos he found were people taping their own reactions to it. Everyone who interacts with both the internet and the terribly wonderful things on it are now stars.

I use to think "Jackass" was a very smart show the first day I watched it. I interpreted it as a sign of our collective ennui and thought it was a statement of protest against our current social affairs. I viewed at it somewhat as an SI Affair (more and more); "A moment of life concretely and deliberately constructed by the collective organization of a unitary ambiance and a game of events."

Assuming that was the initial intention of "Jackass", it's message was so perverted with the making of the movies, their insistence on drug use and the interpretation by the common man. What is real is funny. What is dangerous and disgusting is real. And now Two Girls One Cup will live in infamy.

In addition, without having seen the video, I now wonder if Two Girls One Cup is the true meaning of going "family style".

-Rufus Slim

No comments: